Under the pseudonym Slim Twig (website / Twitter), Toronto-born, singer-songwriter and actor Max Turnbull has been creating his unique interpretation of indie music. It’s cinematic, a bit spooky, and incorporates everything from rock to pop to saloon-style blues. If Jonathan Richman comes to mind, that would be a good comparison.
He has released a handful of albums, including A Hound at the Hem, which included string arrangements by Owen Pallet and was re-released by DFA Records, and 2012’s psychedelic pop experience, Sof’ Sike. In addition to his songwriting, he co-owns indie record label Calico Corp, has produced albums for experimental electronic group U.S. Girls, and has scored a documentary, We Come As Friends by Hubert Sauper.
The multi-talented Turnbull’s expansive tastes and abilities are reflected in the books he reads, the music he listens to, and the drinks he consumes. Turnbull was kind enough to provide us a few lists on this week’s Artiste 5.
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov – I suppose this is a no brainer as I have an album as something of a tribute to this book. A cultural Titanic.
- The Journalist & The Murderer by Janet Malcolm – Janet Malcolm’s mind is as sharp as they come. As incisive and artful as non fiction gets. A thrilling read.
- A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole – Ignatius J. Rielly is a classic character. The literary equivalent of a Jon Wurster creation. The funniest book I’ve ever read.
- A Sport & A Pastime by James Salter – If a combination of the erotic and the poetic sounds appealing to you, check this book out. Wonderful stuff.
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote – Most people have read this one, but it remains one of the most powerful books out there. So inventive, a new literary hybrid was created in it’s wake.
Songs I Wish I Had Written
In no particular order, and quite un-definitively:
- David Bowie – “Sweet Thing / Candidate’ suite off Diamond Dogs
- Jimi Hendrix – “Burning Of The Midnight Lamp”
- Velvet Underground – “I Found A Reason”
- PiL – “Poptones”
- Jack Name – “Born To Lose”
Five Bands People Should Know About
- U.S. Girls
- Zacht Automaat
- The Highest Order
Five Favourite Beverages
- Egg Nog
- Mango Juice
Share This Article On...
Follow The Revue On...