Back to my hometown of Sarnia, Ontario, to check out the internationally known harmonica player, Mike Stevens. This guy is a bonafide musical legend in country and blues circles, and has won countless awards and accolades for his pioneering harmonica styles. A few examples listed from his site, just from the past couple of years:
- 2013 Folk Music Ontario Estelle Klein Award
- 2012 Canadian Folk Music Awards
Mike received the first ever Innovator of the Year Award
- 2012 Ontario Contact Mike is honoured with the Award of Excellence
- 2012 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee for founding ArtsCan Circle
- 2011 East Coast Music Awards Piggyback album with Matt Andersen wins Blues Recording of the Year
Considering he’s been mystifying audiences with his tunes for decades, you can only imagine how many awards he has on his shelf at home. For good reason. Here’s a sample of MIke from the 80s playing at the infamous Grand Ol’ Opry.
Having released a pile of solo and collaborative albums over the years, Mike has been a sideman for plenty of artists. His recent collaboration with fellow Canadian road warrior Matt Andersen has garnered some well-deserved attention.
Check Mike out at http://www.mikestevensmusic.com/ and try to figure out how the man gets such amazing sounds out of that harmonica.
Share This Article On...
Follow The Revue On...