Dana Sipos is an interesting woman. Her songs are dark and dense yet hauntingly gorgeous. It might reflect her upbringing, where she grew up in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Or maybe it reflects her current adventures. Never one to settle in one place, Sipos is constantly on the move, living a nomadic lifestyle. But she doesn’t have a VW van or a Toyota Prius to take her around; she instead prefers to travel by more traditional means. She has traversed this country by boat and bicycle, even during her past tours. For her forthcoming album, Roll Up the Night Sky (4/30, Muddy Roots Records), she plans on traveling by canoe and rail.
But whatever inspires her, the results are stunning. The lead single from her new album, “Portraits”, is a stunning, folk-noir song. It has the grace of the June Carter but the shadows of Fiona Apple. The single is below. You can also find it on the March 20th edition of the Weekend Showcase, which is a playlist of new music from the indie world.
Sipos’ upcoming tour dates are also below, and she’ll be performing at Kaffe 1870 in Wakefield on May 2. In addition, we’ve included a couple of songs from her last album, Lay of the Land, which you can stream in its entirety on SoundCloud or purchase it on Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, and eMusic.
- April 25 – Sat. – Guelph, ON – THE CORNERSTONE
- April 29 – Wed – Dundas, ON: ODD FELLOWS HALL
- April 30 – Thur – Toronto, ON: MUSIDEUM
- May 1 – Fri – Kingston, ON: MUSIIKKI
- May 2 – Sat – Wakefield, ON: THE KAFFE 1870
- May 3 – Sun – Montreal, QC: ROCKET SCIENCE ROOM
- May 4 – Mo – Montreal, QC: LE CAGIBI
- May 5 – Tue – Burlington, VT: RADIO BEAN
- May 6 – Wed – Hudson, NY – Spotty Dog
- May 7 – Thur – New York, NY – PIANO’S w/Hollands
- May 22- 23 – Nashville, MUDDY ROOTS SPRING WEEKENDER FESTIVAL
Share This Article On...
Follow The Revue On...